Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A NOTE ABOUT THE DIFFERENT MEDIUMS AND PAINTING TECHNIQUES I HAVE USED IN THIS SERIES

Paintings I created for the Air Force Art Collection of Air Force planes I flew in or saw in action or otherwise interacted with in Vietnam are painted fairly large scale in acrylic on canvas and are carefully researched and tightly rendered.  If you are painting aircraft for the Air Force Art Collection you need to get the details right.  These paintings were represented in the various gallery exhibitions of A Year in the Tropics by color photographic reproductions.  Most of the things I wanted to depict in this series needed to be drawn from memory and imagination, and for those I used an ink or ink and watercolor technique that I had developed for making storyboards and book illustrations.  Working this way I can tell my story without needing costumed models or detailed reference photos, although I do sometimes refer to my own or other peoples photos for the look of things like weapons, vehicles and uniforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment